Television Guide v0.1.4
Television Guide is available as a Java Web StartTM application. This is the preferred method of download, since you are automatically notified of new updates. You may also choose to download a standalone JAR file if you are having trouble getting Java Web Start to work.
Java Web Start VersionThis is the preferred method of download
To download the Java Web Start version of Television Guide:
To start Television Guide, simply click on the Television Guide icon in Java Web Start. Note that the first time you start TelevisionGuide on any given day, there will be a delay that can take up to a minute on some systems as it downloads the first television guide for the day. Afterwards, the guide is cached and should not take as long. See the Configuration section below for setup instructions.
- If you haven't already done so, download and install Java Web Start, from java.sun.com.
- You may need to restart your web browser. Come back to this page after doing so.
- Click the following link to download Television Guide, Web Start version.
If the above instructions do not work for you, please try the JAR version instead.
JAR VersionThe JAR version of Television Guide allows you to run Television Guide without the auto-update and easy-launch capabilities that Web Start gives you. This is only recommended if Web Start is not supported on your platform.
To download the JAR version of Television Guide:
To start Television Guide, type the following at your command-prompt or shell, from the folder containing televisionguide.jar:
- Download the Sun JDK or JRE, version 1.3 or greater, from java.sun.com.
- Right-click on the following link to download the Television Guide JAR file.
- Save the JAR file to a folder on your computer.java -classpath televisionguide.jar TelevisionGuideNote that the first time you start TelevisionGuide on any given day, there will be a delay that can take up to a minute on some systems as it downloads the first television guide for the day. Afterwards, the guide is cached and should not take as long. See the Configuration section below for setup instructions.
By default, Television Guide comes configured to retrieve listings for AT&T Broadband in Lowell, MA. Most likely, you will want to change this to work with your local listings.
As of yet, a GUI is not available to do this, so you have to make this change manually. After using for the first time, exit the application and search for the file "config.properties". It is normally stored in your home directory (e.g. C:\WINDOWS in Win 98 or C:\WINNT\Profiles\username in Windows NT or /home/username in Unix) under the subdirectory ".televisionguide". Edit the file in a text editor, and replace the guide.yahoo.lineup property with the value you get from the following procedure:
Take the lineup code from the previous procedure and replace the existing lineup with your own. Then, save config.properties and restart Television Guide.
- Visit http://tv.yahoo.com/.
- Click the "Go" button under "Browse by Date & Time"
- Find your local provider and navigate to the television listings grid
- Look at the URL in the Location bar in your web browser. It should look something like:http://tv.yahoo.com/grid?lineup=us_MA20428&.intl=us&startdate=0&starthour=0
- Look at the value that comes after "lineup=" and before the &. This is your lineup code (e.g. us_MA20428).
Television Guide is still in private early access / beta stages. It is never to be distributed publicly. You must have been granted explicit permission from Mark Roth to use this software. Do not distribute without express written permission from Mark Roth. Use at your own risk. This release is not supported. See the license agreement for more information.
Your feedback is strongly desired, and is required to make this product more successful. Please send all feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.